Friday, September 24, 2010

Exsqueeze me, Garp?

I've been reading John Irving's The World According to Garp.  Despite my seemingly unlimited free time, I've been pacing myself with the book.  It's entertaining, and certainly has its moments of shock value.  I won't spoil it for anyone, but let's just say no book has ever brought me so close to throwing up in my mouth.  There's a whole lot of accidental maiming going on.

In other news, I think my unemployment woes may finally be abating.  I won't say they are about to disappear, because my hopes aren't that high.  But I had not one, but TWO job interviews this week.  Both were for menial part-time jobs that, combined, would keep me occupied for a whopping 22 hours a week.  But still...I figure...if I can stand for long periods and perform repetitious tasks without drooling or having to take a coke break, somebody's bound to hire me soon, right?  And some money is better than none at all.  I just need a little bit of money to start my pyramid scheme and then it's Easy Street.

If nothing else, at least I learned something new at my interview today.  Northern Idaho used to have a big problem with Aryan Nation militia dudes.  Apparently, when they weren't hate mongering, they were trying to research ways to avoid paying federal income tax and/or prove that such taxation was illegal.  I was aware that these Neanderthals were no longer a big presence in the area, but I naively assumed they were shunned out of existence or just quieted down due to lack of enthusiasm.  Today, I learned the truth - their land was repossessed by the government.  Because they never paid their taxes.  Huh.

2 comments:

  1. For this to work, I think you need to advertise it less as a "scheme" and more as an investment.

    I plan on selling water filter systems, but the greatest part is that you can make money if you get your friends involved too. Win, win situation!

    Gah...I need to get a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pyramid -investment-. Yes. And, jobs are overrated. They take up too much time.

    ReplyDelete