Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Can't Even Give It Away!

So, remember when I was all "Unemployment solved.  I'm going to sell my blood!"  Well, first I thought I could do it in town.  I was totally stoked about the prospect of making $60-70 a week in a completely passive manner.  Never mind the potential deleterious health effects, I was going to make money!  I later learned that I was sadly mistaken, as the company that operated that plasma center went under last year. 

As it turns out, the closest plasma banks are in Spokane.  The three hour round trip between Moscow and Spokane kind of put a damper on any plans to sell my blood there.  After gas, I might end up with 10 bucks a pop.  Kinda not worth it.  More importantly, though, I would be too afraid of passing out on the drive home.  Something tells me that's not the kind of experience that would be worth it in hindsight just because I'd get to blog about it.  I probably wouldn't get to blog about it, because I'd probably die (I'm sure I didn't need to spell that out for you, but just in case...).

So, a solo trip to Spokane for the sole purpose of selling my blood seemed like a bad idea.  But, if someone else were to have a need to visit Spokane for several hours on a Saturday morning, I would be hard pressed to turn down the opportunity to open up my veins.  When Andy expressed a desire to attend the REI garage sale this Saturday, I was all "OHMYGOD yes!  I'm going to sell my plasma while you buy crap!" 

So I called the only plasma center with a functioning website (if you don't even have a website, you might be too sketchy...I want money, not hepatitis) and asked what I needed to do to sell my cells.  I was totally on board with the eating a healthy breakfast, the bringing a photo ID, the social security card, and the recent piece of mail sent to your address that is within 50 miles of Spokane SHIT.  Come on, man.  All these barriers.  Barriers between me and money.  I mean, I'm applying for jobs and all, but in the meantime, can't a sister just sell some blood?  Is that so much to ask?

3 comments:

  1. Mm. If you do resort to selling your blood (which apparently might not be the case seeing all your barriers), just remember that even a regular blood donation requires that you at least rest 6-8 *weeks* for your body to recover. :-P

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you ask your husband to sell his semen? Seems like a fair and reasonable request...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warning, Barb. They say you can sell plasma twice a week, but I've heard that can be pretty rough on the body. But the MONEY....sigh.

    Anonymous, he is totally on board with that. I think he's a pretty good genetic specimen, I mean, he doesn't have any major deformities aside from that vestigial tail. The doctors removed that at birth, so he should be good to go, right?

    ReplyDelete