Thursday, September 16, 2010

Insensitivity Unplugged

Soo, remember how I kept harping on the social inadequacies of Andy's serial killer friend?  Well, for about 45 seconds today, I felt guilty.  Clearly, this person has cognitive difficulties.  Andy is a much nicer person than I, so he agreed to pick up a few items for 'Kenny' at this REI garage sale that I had hoped to avoid while selling my blood.  So Kenny writes him a check...I'm not sure if it's even valid, as he didn't date it, and tried to spell Andrew like this:  Adwen.  Only, it looks more like Adw8n.

I'm not sure if I'm more horrified for being so impatient with someone who clearly has special needs, or for allowing myself to engage in potentially dangerous outdoor activities wherein this person claims to be in charge of said expeditions.  Sure, I'm a big jerk, but, really, shouldn't he be compelled to provide a full disclosure?  "Like, hey guys, come white-water rafting with me.  Oh and, by the way, not only have I never been rafting before, but I'm also slightly mentally retarded."  That might seem harsh, but if I'm putting my life in someone's hands, that's not really a trivial fact to be overlooked.  I know I'm seriously going to burn in hell, but, given that, I would prefer not to die anytime soon.

Also, this:


When I listen to NPR, I frequently hear advertisements for Washington State University clothing and merchandise.  Their mascot is the cougar, and when the radio announcer says, "Specializing in cougar clothing...," I picture platform shoes and slutty mini-dresses in various lurid shades and animal prints.  It doesn't help matters that the University of Idaho mascot is the Vandal, which sounds to me a lot like a hoodlum or juvenile delinquent.  I picture these mascots absconding to a filthy motel room and having illicit statutory rape sex.

Hi, I'm Katie and I like long walks in the park and non-sequiturs.

No comments:

Post a Comment