Sunday, June 6, 2021

Syllabus #108

This past week we dropped the N, threw in a superfluous e, and spent a couple days in Asheville with the family to celebrate a couple milestone birthdays (the celebrants of which may prefer that I not reveal the age).  Some of us rode in a Lyft for the first time since last March; some of us experienced rideshare apps for the first time ever.  

It was cute.  

Don't you need to call somebody?  

How do they know where to pick us up?  

Aren't you going to pay them?  

And to the driver:  We'll probably be calling you again tomorrow if we need another ride downtown.

That's not how it works.  That's not how any of this works!  


What else happened while I was sleeping in a haunted hotel where F. Scott Fitzgerald used to ogle girlies and drink a case of beer a day while Zelda was locked up in a nearby institution?

---

Even the company that uses a logo of a marsupial sucking its own D condemns anti-semitisim.  


Going out without a mask feels like the dream where you find yourself giving a presentation at work without pants on.  Or maybe it feels like that moment where everyone agrees to go skinny dipping and we all look at one another like, "Are we really doing this...okay let's go!" and then at the last minute, two people break the social contract and keep their underwear on.  It also feels a little like a fuck you to people who are still wearing masks, like, "I got my vax so smell ya later, suckers."  Are those people still masking because they haven't been vaccinated yet, and if not, FTLOG why?  Or are they immune-compromised or live with people who can't or won't be vaccinated?  Are they just virtue signaling?


I'm a little jealous of all the Wawa coffee Kate Winslet appears to consume throughout the 7 episodes of Mare of Easttown.  I have two episodes left to watch, and the vague suggestion of a final shocking twist is tearing me up inside.  Who murdered the durdur??  


I was in Kroger the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend and everyone around me was filling their carts with cases of various carbonated alcoholic bevvies.  Three Chads rolled past with a cart full of White Claw and one of them said to the others, "Alright, this is a good start.  Ok, now let's look for the Pedialyte."  Like, I guess that's a gift to Future You, but I like to go out on the assumption that I am an adult human woman with self control who will alternate alcohol and water and properly line my stomach with carbohydrates and also stop after 3 drinks because that is the fatal bridge over the gorge of eternal peril for my liver, which does not know the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.  98% of the time, that works for me.  The other 2% of the time, though, man I would kill to have had Past Me purchase a Pedialyte or seven for Hungover Me.




Analog Reading:

Finished Festival Days by Jo Ann Beard.  I need to seek out more of her work.

Reading How to Be a Family by Dan Kois, a book about a family of 4 who leaves their Arlington, VA home to live abroad for one year in search of better ways to find a work-life balance.  They spend 3 months each in New Zealand, the Netherlands, Costa Rica, and Hays, Kansas (not technically abroad but I would imagine living in small town Kansas feels like an entire other planet compared to the other locales).

No comments:

Post a Comment