Sunday, December 3, 2023

Syllabus #229


Anyone who has ever worked in a school knows that a full moon has very real, highly pernicious effects on children's behavior.  The Full Beaver Moon of this past week sounds like something I would get arrested for.  Truly, all I can say is thank gawd the FBM didn't coincide with the PMS, or, dear reader, I would have gotten arrested.  And not for a cute little indecent exposure charge.  The way these children made it an olympic-level sport to be as obnoxious as possible.  Unreal.

---

Hello, it's me.  I don't actually do this.  If you're a cop, I DEFINITELY DO NOT DO THIS.  I actually avoid self-checkout on principle, but I did steal a grapefruit once out of frustration and a desire to reclaim my time.


Myyyyyy liver in fight - Afternoon delight!  I find that day drinking, if there's a clear endpoint, works out much better for me than night drinking.  If I can sober up and put another meal on top of whatever booze, before going to sleep at night, the next day is going to be a lot more tolerable.


Macaulay Culkin, National Treasure.  I don't use this phrase lightly (actually I throw it around like confetti, but I mean it) 

---

Analog Reading:

I've been vibing all week on North Woods by Daniel Mason.  I was expecting a fairly conventional book about the lives of the various inhabitants of a cabin in the Massachusetts woods over many generations.  It IS about the inhabitants of a cabin over many generations, but it's so much weirder and more inventive than I was led to expect.  Every era is recounted in a totally different narrative fashion, and the story is taking some strange and spooky turns I did not see coming.  It's good!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. If the December full moon has a graphic name at least you'll be on Xmas break. Uh oh. I have a holiday movie line up and I forgot to add Home Alone to it. Passed Demon Copperhead on to the other avid reader. Still stunned.

    ReplyDelete