Sunday, December 10, 2023

Syllabus #230

Let it be known that I have achieved a new Wordle streak.  My previous streak ended last year over winter break.  I was up to day 224 when I fell from great heights and experienced disgrace.  After a minor setback earlier this year, I have reclaimed my dignity.  I'm now up to day 229.  I feel like Kramer test driving the car in that episode of Seinfeld.  As improbable as it may seem, I'm just going to ride this out until the wheels fall off.


---

The storms on Saturday evening missed us, but just a couple miles to the north of us, not everyone was as lucky.

I appreciate Slate's dueling best-books lists from Laura Miller and Dan Kois

I am going to refrain from sharing any thoughts on the situation in the Middle East, other than to say that I wish for peace for the innocent civilians on both sides of the issue.  That being said, I found this Vox article about the history of the keffiyeh to be illuminating.  The bit about the scarf coming into vogue as a generic fashion accessory in the mid-2000s explains so much about why I randomly bought a green keffiyeh for $5 from a store on South Street in 2007 and thought nothing of wearing at the time.  


Analog Reading:

Finished North Woods by Daniel Mason.  It went to some spooky dark places that I wasn't expecting but thoroughly enjoyed.  

Reading The Heat Will Kill You First is not exactly a hopeful experience.  It is a highly engaging, compelling read, though.  I was reading it yesterday morning on the balcony while it was 59 degrees at 7 am, in December, and then hours later I found myself following the track of a tornado as it ripped through an area just a couple miles north of us.  I can't wait to be boiled alive, killed in a catastrophic storm, or wiped out by a previously-tropical insect-borne disease.  

No comments:

Post a Comment