Sunday, December 31, 2023

Syllabus #232

It's not such a bad little tree


We took a little Christmas hiatus last Sunday, and now we're back and ready to wrap up the year of our lawd two thousand and twenty three.  Let the record show that Andy and I had a delightful holiday with both our families combined, and unless anyone is being real passive aggressive about it, nobody got angry, or injured, or ill this year!  Which is great, because last year involved some torn ligaments (not mine) and the year before that involved projectile vomiting into an N-95 mask (mine) and trying to negotiate the purchase of an anti-emetic from a Portuguese pharmacy.

I don't have Spotify so I can't share with you my Spotify Wrapped.  If I did have one, it would probably just be Spotify sending the authorities to my door to make sure I'm not planning on showing up at Laura Jane Grace's house and peeling off her face and making it my face.  Or it might be a gentle suggestion from Spotify that other music exists besides the 20+ year oeuvre of Against Me!.  Sorry, I like what I like.  I don't see people out there giving Swifties a hard time, and they're paying thousands of dollars for concert tickets and weeping in movie theaters.  Let me be.  

Also, 98% of my listening is devoted to podcasts, so it's not that weird.  Get off my back.  I don't have a problem, you have a problem.  I'm not defensive, you're defensive.  I know you are but what am I?  I'm rubber, and you're glue.  Sticks and stones may break my bones, but when it came time to throw bricks through that Starbucks window, you left me all alone (all alone).  

What I do have to report on this, the final day of December, is that I am ending the year with a 250 day Wordle streak!  It's still going strong!  I'm on a Duolingo streak of 1753 days, and a yoga streak of, let's do the math here...2,191 days.  That's 6 years, one of which was a leap year.  I read 65 books (kind of...the 65th one is in progress but I'll have it mostly finished before midnight tonight).  So basically, I accomplished absolutely nothing of consequence and I'm ok with that.

---

Now here's an extracurricular I'd gladly chaperone.

 

If this is a true story it's amazing and I want to be friends with the author.


It's not often that I yearn to be incarcerated, but if I was going to go to jail, send me to this one in Chile.


Jeet yet?  What will we all be eating in 2024?


Analog Reading:

Finished Rabbit Remembered by John Updike.  I read the original tetralogy earlier this year, so it was fun to revisit one of my favorite dysfunctional fictional families.

Read Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann.  What a twisted, unbelievably dark time.   The extent of the deception and cold-blooded destruction of the Osage people purely out of greed is just beyond.

Reading Lauren Groff's Vaster Wilds.  As of this morning, I'm about 1/3 of the way into it, and expect to read most of it today.  It's good!  Hoo boy, there's a lot of diarrhea though.  

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you rise before the crack of dawn to start your enjoyably, ambitious morning constitutional before you hit the trenches. Impressive stats! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete