Sunday, January 29, 2023

Syllabus #185

I have not read one single thing of interest on the internet this week.  I have been too busy using my screen time to cling, tooth and nail, to a spot in the top ten of this BS Diamond League challenge in Duolingo.  I should be fluent in Spanish by now, but all I can really tell you is that the cow didn't upload those photos because it doesn't have fingers.  La vaca no subio esas fotos porque no tiene dedos.  

I'm sure you'll need that one in your back pocket (la bolsilla de atras) on your next trip abroad (viaje al extranjero).  De nada.

Lola was itchin' for a fight, but Hadley just wanted to lick her head and make biscuits on her tummy


Analog Reading:

Rabbit Redux by John Updike was a lot darker and just chock full of racism and misogyny than I remembered, even more so than Rabbit Run in many ways.  I mean, it was of a time, and it's not like Updike was glorifying the characters' behavior and attitudes, but it was a little cringe, as the Youngs have said.  I'm still gonna read the other two books, but I'm taking a little break to work through the rest of the books on my Kindle before I take it out of airplane mode to download Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest.

The World Record Book of Racist Stories by Amber Ruffin and Lacey Lamar, was, coincidentally, also a lot darker and chock full of racism and misogyny than its predecessor!  I recently read You'll Never Believe What Happened to Lacey:  Crazy stories about racism, and it was appalling but somehow not quite as heavy.  The stories in this one were drawn not just from Amber and Lacey but also from their parents and older siblings, and man, have they seen some shit.  

The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta will probably have a lot of sex and maybe some misogyny but I'm hoping no (or at least much much less) racism!  But still a lot of ignorant, entitled white people acting like the sun rotates around them and the earth is just there to cushion their lily white feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment