Sunday, September 17, 2023

Syllabus #218

This came to a 5th grade student through our interlibrary loan system, and I've never been more proud or ashamed.  Proud to know this student, who is apparently just as much of a weirdo as I was (and honestly still am), probably just typing 'farts' into the search box to see what came up.  Also ashamed to discover this glaring omission in my own library's collection.


---

You can pry millennials' cultural relevancy from our cold, dead, immaculately preserved fingers.  


Speaking of a time when millennials were still young and carefree - what did any of us DO before cellphones?  


It's rough out there for teachers.  Relatively speaking, my job is much easier than that of a classroom teacher, and I honestly really like my job, but there's always a part of my brain that asks, what else am I qualified to do that 1) pays more, 2) is less politically threatened, and 3) is statistically less likely to put me at risk of experiencing a mass shooting?  I haven't come up with any answers to that question, by the way.  


I feel like the TV movie version of Danelo Cavalcante's escape ends with him making his way to Canada and becoming the leader of a Boy Scout troop, or pulling a Never Been Kissed move and disguising himself by enrolling as a 7th grader at a local middle school.  Dude is only 5 feet tall??  No wonder htey couldn't find him.  


Analog Reading:

Go read Ann Patchett's new novel, Tom Lake, immediately.  10/10, no notes, engaging, beautiful, only national treasure Ann Patchett could write such a beautiful pandemic novel that I would think, sure, that time wasn't so bad.

Sure, I'll Join Your Cult by Maria Bamford was the witty, whimsical reassurance we all need that there's always someone out there a little crazier than you.

Up next, I'm about to start reading David Grann's The Wager, followed by Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment