Sunday, March 24, 2024

Syllabus #245

There should be a rule that the first week back to school after a holiday of a week or more should NOT be a full 5-day week.  When I grow up and become beneficent dictator of the world, I'm going to do something about that.  I might also do something about like, reproductive freedom, equal rights and freedoms for LGBTQIA+ individuals, universal healthcare, voting rights*, social safety nets, infrastructure...should I go on?  You get the picture.  But first thing's first.

*yes, in my beneficent dictatorship, voting rights are still important


---

Oprah has come a long way from her "wagon of fat" days.  As someone who has never objectively been fat by medical standards, I don't think my opinion counts for anything in this whole diabetes-medicine-as-cosmeceutical revolution.  But I'd like to weigh in, if I may.  Pun fully intended, will not be apologizing.  If I existed in a much larger body, I would be tempted to take these.  But I'd be so scared about taking them, loving the results, and then being forced to stay on the drugs forever.  What if I can no longer afford them, or they become unavailable to me for some other reason?  

Not the same thing at all, but I have noticed my hair at the crown of my head and around my hairline has been kind of thin maybe forever but definitely after I had a major stress-shedding event around the Fall of 2021.  I thought about using supplements or serums.  I did a lot of research.  I even asked the dermatologist (probably not the best person to ask, but who else would you ask?  Actual question because I don't know).  And, partly because I am a cheapskate, I never pulled the trigger.  But the larger reason was that everything I read suggested that once you stop using whatever treatment, all that new growth falls out eventually and you're back to where your bald ass started.  


Reading about this guy almost makes me want to watch SNL.  Except then I'd have to figure out how to stream it from wherever.  And it would also mean actually watching TV, an activity to which I currently devote less than 1 hour a week.  Not out of any kind of moral superiority.  I honestly wish I cared more about movies and TV so I had normal-person things to bring up in conversation with casual acquaintances.  I just cannot bring myself to have an interest, outside of Curb Your Enthusiasm (in its final season) or Righteous Gemstones (which is between seasons).  

Also, I think I have watched exactly 4 movies in the last 2 years:  Love Actually (twice during Christmas break), The Goonies, Saltburn, and the first 3/4 of the Weird Al biopic starring Daniel Radcliffe (thrice, without managing to ever remain conscious for the last half hour or so).  So if anyone wants to talk about Larry David sittng in his car and yelling the c-word at Siri, or the bathtub and/or graveyard scenes from Saltburn, I'm your gal.  Otherwise, I hope you like to read, or we should probably just make small talk about the weather and go our separate ways.


One thing about me is that I love a good class-action lawsuit.  The best part is that I'll sign right up for it, promptly forget about it, and then months or years later, I get a check in the mail that just drops into my hot little hands like manna from heaven.  And then instead of treating myself to something fun, I just stick it right in my savings account, because I don't know how to live.  At all. 


Analog Reading:

Finished The Outsider by, who else, Stephen King.  I keep saying he is at his best when his plots remain planted in reality, even though he's known for supernatural horror.  This book veered into the supernatural pretty late in the game, but that's also when my best gal Holly Gibney showed up, so I'll allow it.  I really enjoyed this one, somewhat to my surprise.  I mean, I'm never surprised to enjoy a Stephen King book, but I generally prefer when the horror is perpetrated by humans or exists within someone's mind, rather than originating with actual supernatural forces.  ALSO, Steve gets a cookie for this one because I cannot recall one solitary usage of the n-word.

Since I can't get enough Holly, now I'm reading If It Bleeds.  I keep picturing Holly as the actress who plays Aurelia in Love Actually.  Aside from the fact that that actress is Portuguese and may or may not speak English, she gives the right amount of skinny, twitchy, self-contained, homeliness.  But, as you know, my movie references are rather limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment