Friday, April 26, 2013

Friday Feels



It seems like the rest of the blogging world likes to put up a list of links on Fridays.  I wanted to beat the band and put this up last night, to be like the blogging equivalent of the Black Friday Sale that starts at 10 pm on the night of Thanksgiving.  Minus the trampling.  But yesterday trampled me instead.

I missed my first meeting of the day, because I forgot to put it on my Outlook calendar and got really into some spreadsheets and just spaced it.  Then I went to a meeting that didn't exist (because it was canceled and I forgot to take it off my Outlook calendar...).  I may or may not have told my boss to give her 7-year old prenatal vitamins to make her hair thicker (trust me, it was relevant to a conversation, but still).  Then I went to Pilates and accidentally stole a sweat towel from the gym and didn't realize until I was driving away.  Basically, I needed to go to bed and stop living the day that was Thursday, April 25th, 2013.  It just wasn't meant to be.

Here's some internet stuff I've been enjoying/looking forward to recently:

The first honest cable company  It's funny because it's so, so true.  If we didn't laugh, we'd cry.  Calling Comcast feels like stepping into the pages of a Kafka novel.

Pandora's Lunchbox: How Processed Food Took Over the American Meal  I have this book on hold at work, and I can't wait to read it.  Books like this get me every time.  I am a sucker for any book dealing with the history, politics, or culture of food.  I often think that if I wasn't a librarian, I would like to have a career that involves food in some way.  Either as a food journalist in the vein of Michael Pollan (but really, nobody is in the vein of Michael Pollan - he IS the vein), food blogger (can someone please pay me to spend the day inventing recipes and taking pictures so Andy will stop making fun of me when I do that?), or maybe even a nutritionist or dietitian (so I can get paid to judge people for their horrible eating habits help people to explore healthier ways of eating and see how good it can feel to eat nutritious whole foods).  Sidenote - are a nutritionist and a dietitian the same thing?  I should really know that but I don't feel like researching it.  Worst librarian ever.

What Would Don Draper Do?  Who doesn't love a good booze-fueled flowchart?

Kmart does something awesome.  For once.  This is not new, and probably the entire world has already seen this video, but pop culture trickles down slowly in Utah.  I don't even care.  YOLO.  Isn't that what the kids are saying these days?  I feel like Kmart has been Walmart's red-headed step-child for such a long time.  I really don't like shopping at either store, and in fact I think the last time I was in a Kmart I was buying a blaze orange hat in Vermont over Columbus Weekend in 2008 so I wouldn't be shot by deer hunters while hiking on the Green Mountain Trail.  But I mean, it's kind of hard not to root for the underdog, especially when the...opposite of underdog (overdog?) in question is Walmart, morally repugnant, poverty-perpetuating, glass-ceiling-reinforcing Walmart.  Not that this video has anything to do with Walmart, but you know, the view from up on this soapbox is fantastic.

Happy Weekend!


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete