Sunday, March 21, 2021

Syllabus #97

This past week has been Spring Break.  Not to be a whiny, oversharing megabitch, but I have PMS and the whole week was kinda trash.  I'm more tired (and broke) than I was before the break started, and all I have to show for it is a loaf of Finnish bread in my freezer that I stress-baked earlier in the week when it was looking like the tornadoes that ripped across the south might make their way up into Nashville.  Also my windows are super clean for about the next 5 minutes.  It's gonna be at least another year before I muster up the energy to clean those shits again.

It's hard make a dough braid look pretty when you're on the verge of a panic attack


I saw this the morning of my second vaccine and felt validated.  By the morning after my second vaccine, I felt violated, but you know what, I'm glad to have felt like I was kicked in the head for one day, knowing that is my immune system mobilizing.  It's all about that herd immunity, y'all.  


Yo, I get that changing your clocks is annoying and losing that hour of sleep is a bummer, but like, where I live, if we didn't change the clocks, the sun would be all up in my face at like 4:30 in the morning in the summer.  No, please.


And now, to the tune of Jolene, everybody sing!  Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream, ICE CREEEEEAM.  I can't think of anything sweeter.


The resentment is real!


An 8 PM curfew?  If I was there, I'd be like, how about 7:30?  Give me a reason to be in my jammies, teeth brushed, reading a book, by 7:45 and I ain't mad about it.  


Analog Reading:

Finished Memorial by Bryan Washington.  It was a very fast, compelling read - a window into a lived experience both unusual (to me) and mundane.

Reading Winter Pasture by Li Juan and Nomadland by Jessica Bruder (the book on which the Chloe Zao movie is based).  Both books about wandering.  One about nomadic Kazakh herders in a remote area of China, the other about nomadic Americans who live in vans and campers, unable to retire and unable to find steady work in one place.  Both are simultaneously super depressing and weirdly uplifting.

1 comment:

  1. I'm envious. Two vaccines, two loaves of amazing bread, sparkling clean windows and blinds, couple of good reads done. Just not the pms(but I thought so).

    ReplyDelete