Sunday, May 16, 2021

Syllabus #105

The weather's heating up and the CDC just gave us all permission to free-nose it so y'all gonna have to look at my sweat-stache for the next 4 months. 

The haunted house next door has some nice peonies.  I've been helping myself to the fruits of their abandoned landscaping, so if I start getting haunted, it checks out.


 If you've been around here for more than a minute, you might surmise that I'm not the least bit religious. That being said, I was raised culturally Lutheran (if you can even say a thing like that) and this makes me proud.  Good on ya, Lutheran Church.


See also:  Did you get the Covid-19 vaccine and then feel so liberated and strange to be enjoying a night out with friends that you, ahem, overdid it a little a shit ton and woke up in your bathrobe on top of your sheets with your glasses still on your face and your bedside lamp still shining, and your earrings were in a kitchen drawer and your wine-soaked shirt was in a bowl of soapy water in the sink?  Or is that alternate title just a little too specific?


Dear Joyce, please accept my sincerest apologies if you feel the slightest bit of exasperation towards me (last Sunday notwithstanding) that Johanna Schopenhauer felt towards her irascible son, Arthur.


Free to be child free


David Sedaris, as always


Listening to Jean Smart and Terry Gross talk about the specificity of the Delaware County accent used in Mare of Easttown, and the idea that Smart, an American person, had to use a DIALECT COACH to learn how to say WOODER and GEW HEWM is so amusing to me.  I mean, sure, Kate Winslet is British, so using a dialect coach for any particular American accent makes total sense.


My biggest gripes with the workplace bathroom are the no smoking sign (in a school, honestly, yes I'm gonna light up in this enclosed, unventilated space within sniffing distance of the principal's office, get bent with that sign, y'all) and the trite motivational quote printed on canvas.  The only new leaf I wanna turn over is the one that was made into the abrasive yet ethereal toilet paper I'm using to wipe my b-hole.


This article is from 7 years ago, but damn.  I was drinking a glass of water while I was reading it, and the glass of water became so much more.


Analog Reading:

Finished The Upstairs House by Julia Fine.  It was a nice companion to all this week's articles about declining to participate in motherhood.  I've had some pretty severe mental and emotional side effects from certain birth control, so I will say a polite no thank you to the possibility of postpartum psychosis.  


Started Between Two Kingdoms by Suleika Jaouad.  I feel like I need to slow down and not inhale the whole thing in one bite, but it's hard to put down.

1 comment:

  1. Immensely pleased to read the organized religion of my upbringing is still demonstrating inclusiveness, acceptance and a welcoming warmth. If I ever feel I'm acting like Arthur's mother I should head directly to a Lutheran house of worship for guidance.

    ReplyDelete