Sunday, September 19, 2021

Syllabus #123

Not a lot today.  Yesterday I walked Charlie during a break in the rain, and there were four Lime scooters parked on the sidewalk in front of the AirBnb house where the shooting/broken-bottle-face-slashing happened a couple months ago.  Instead of walking in the street or stepping over them (which Charlie refused to do because of all the glowing green lights and humming noises, like, can you blame him, that shit's weird) I shoved them over in the grass.  I'm not proud of it, but I have no regrets.  Scooters are great if they cut down on urban traffic and pollution, but if you aren't supposed to ride them on the sidewalk why the hell would you park them on the sidewalk in a residential neighborhood where people actually use the sidewalks for, you know, walking?  GFY all the way back to Ohio or Mississippi or Indiana or wherever you sat around with your besties coming up with the quippy name for the Bach Bash Venmo Account you wrote on all your back windshields in order to beg strangers to send you money for drinks.  No, you buy me a drink for the rage I feel every time I have to witness your entitlement.  Thank you for coming to my NedTalk.  It's like a TedTalk but disjointed and not remotely uplifting.


 

A new Colson Whitehead novel!  I've only read his two most recent, heavy novels. Nickel Boys and Underground Railroad were phenomenal, but his range is impressively broad and I can't wait to see him working a more playful angle in Harlem Shuffle.  Even though every time I think about the title I think of this:




Gee this plot of intrigue is really doing the most.  So many twists and turns, so much good old boy network, so many bodies.  It's like if The Righteous Gemstones and The Sopranos had a real life love child.   


Analog Reading:

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro.  At first, it seemed like it had the potential to be too much like Little Eyes  by Samanta Schweblin in terms of focusing on the creepy aspects of technology designed to provide artificial companionship, but despite that common thread it's completely unique.  

No comments:

Post a Comment