Sunday, March 26, 2023

Syllabus #193

What a week.  What an absolute hero's journey this week has been.  A real life odyssey.  I spent several days at work without heat.  Have you ever tried to sit still at a desk and type things with your fingers when it's 53 degrees inside?   I'm glad I didn't dry clean and store my down parka over spring break, because it was part of my daily 'fit Monday through Wednesday.  

Thursday was one of those delightful 11 hour days, and Friday I had the distinct privilege of being reminded that my actual job is unimportant enough that I can be pulled away from it to fill in for someone else's more important job.  Teacher shortage is real, people.  Do you have a few college credits and a pulse?  Please sign up to sub.  If you're nice, kids will draw pictures of you surrounded by hearts and tell you you're the best teacher ever, and if you make it through the day without any children crying, bleeding, or barfing, you will feel like you just beat the final boss in Super Mario World.  

No braggies, but I totally saved Princess Peach on Friday.

Saturday, we recreated.  We were curious about the hype around Leiper's Fork.  It was cute but underwhelming.  The real show-stopper of the day was a kitty cat quinceaƱera:


Feliz cumpleaƱos, Meows


---

Gee, Millennials are really going through it these days, aren't we?  I don't care for the term Middle Aged.  Since so much of our generation is predicated on straddling the line of pre-internet versus post-internet culture, why not a technology-themed descriptor?  We're on 60% battery.  We've used up half our extra lives.  We're downloading at Napster speed in a Spotify world.  Miss me with your Middle Aged BS, please.  Middle Aged ladies wear puffy-painted crewneck sweatshirts, have bad perms, and drive minivans.   Middle Aged men wear Hawaiian shirts on the weekends and have combovers stand around the grill talking about their back pain.  Millennial women on 60% battery are still wearing crop tops and figuring out how to keep houseplants alive.  Millennial men on 55% battery (let's face it, they're gonna die first) wear joggers and chug beers after a workout.  We. Are. Not. Middle. Aged.


What about passive aggressive income, though?  I feel like I'd be good at generating that.  


See, I'm not rude or weird for needing to leave a party after an hour, it's just my interaction style.  


Analog Reading:

Finished South to America by Imani Perry.  It was interesting and important, but I kept feeling like parts of it were going over my head.

Finished The Swimmers by Julie Otsuka.  It was short and weird and sad, and I enjoyed it.  

Reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin.  It's excellent so far.  It reads like a Behind the Music style profile, but of video game designers.  Yet it's not really about the video games, it's about their creative process and their intense, complicated friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment