Sunday, June 4, 2023

Syllabus #203

The days are blurring together in that pleasant way of a summer untethered to the constraints of a regular schedule.  This is one of the rare summers in my life as an educator where I haven't been a) doing additional coursework to get certified, b) moving, or c) working multiple additional jobs.  I just have one, mind-numbingly simple but occasionally physically grueling job that I do 1-2 days a week.  And the rest of the time?  Well honestly, so far I've mostly been cleaning and putting my life in order, but I assume I'll get to the part where I spend a whole day relaxing.  Maybe.

13th Anniversary Nightcap 

---


I want to endorse this brownie recipe, but I will decline to comment here on whether you should just use 4 ounces of regular degular butter or follow the recipe as written.  Or you might, I dare say, quadruple the amount of, shall we say, nonconventional butter, if you are, in fact following that recipe as written.  I will say that these are the richest, fudgiest, from-scratch brownies I have ever encountered in my life, and it's a good thing there are, ahem, baked-in reasons to adhere to a strict portion size, or I'd be eating the whole pan in one sitting.


The real problem with dads as old as DeNiro and Pacino - you mean aside from the pruny old man balls of it all?  


We watched part* of Sarah Silverman's new special, and she is a delight.  She has obviously made a deal with the devil to halt the aging process.  Just to put things in perspective, she is two years older than Dave Chappelle.  

*only part, because apparently I am Fall-Asleep-30-Minutes-Into-a-Movie-or-Show Years Old.


Another book roundup!  I'm not big on romance, crime, or beach reads, but the thriller and historical fiction sections have a few promising titles.  


Rest in Power, Tina Turner.  If I was from a town called Nutbush, I woulda written more than just one song about that, though, just saying.    


Analog Reading:

Did finally finish Poverty by America.  Spoiler alert, people aren't poor because they're lazy or bad!  Can you even imagine?  Turns, out, it IS a zero sum game.  APPARENTLY, people are poor because the rich people in charge give them a limited suite of terrible choices to make them stay poor, so the rich people can stay rich and keep gettin' richer.  

Now reading Maggie O'Farrell's The Marriage Portrait.  She's very good at world-building and making historical time periods come alive, this one being 16th century Italy.  Beyond that, though, the plot itself is a little slow.  


No comments:

Post a Comment