Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Syllabus #18

School started this week.  Overall, I like my job a great deal but who among us would not choose "permanent leisure" over "waking up at 5 am and spending large parts of your day having humans below the age of 10 shout simultaneous questions into your face as if they are customers in a New York City bakery and you are behind the counter holding the last loaf of marble rye."  Except in this confusing metaphor, the bakery is actually a library, and the marble rye is actually a copy of Dog Man.  But otherwise, same same.

I am tired.  Here are things I vaguely remember reading in the last week, up until approximately 72 hours ago, when I still had a semblance of a life and free time and the ability to empty my bladder at medically acceptable intervals.

As usual, it's a mix of lighthearted and grimly serious, because even though the world is burning, we can maybe roast some marshmallows over the flames.

---

Speaking of children's books, I am HERE for this.  I'll bring the popcorn, which I don't even like, but I need to channel my nervous energy somewhere if I'm going to see The Wolf Girl and all her creepy friends on the big screen.

This essay cut deep, if you're looking for a longish read that will linger in your brain for a bit too long.

Mom, don't even click on this one.

You mean there's snakes out there this big?

I was on board with the entirety of this article, but they abused my trust and lost me with the last sentence, "If you frost a moist cake, it stays moist."  I need a trigger warning for articles containing the M word.

The concept of a "When I Die" file appeals to my proactive, list-making nature, but I think I'm just gonna write "pull the plug" on a post it note and sign it.   Does that count or do I need it notarized?

Am I the last living female over the age of 16 who hasn't yet read this book?  My grandmom told me it's one of the best books she's read maybe ever, which says a lot coming from someone with about 80 years of reading under her belt.  But then again, she didn't dig on Elena Ferrante's My Brilliant Friend which easily cracks my lifetime top ten. 

---

On a much more serious note, it's sickening to see such devastating proof that this is where we are now as a society.  This horrible situation is the natural conclusion of all the racist, anti-immigrant rhetoric, inhumane treatment of migrants and asylum-seekers, and decades of NRA ass-kissing on behalf of politicians. 

How do you feel about Marianne Williamson?  I find her oddly compelling but clearly not at all viable as a candidate.  How do you feel about reparations?  I'm for it.  I believe it would take a generation or two beyond the payments for some of the more pernicious effects of slavery and overt or institutionalized racism to really dissipate, but that's all the more reason to do it in a hurry. 

---

Read recently: 



After reading Maid, this article from the SF Chronicle about the many different faces and dimensions of homelessness in San Francisco was especially timely and interesting. 

Does my cat want me to lick her?  No matter what your cat says, your answer should be "Too bad."

In the spirit of other problematic cat behaviors, please enjoy these MS Paint drawings I made of Ajax in 2010 when I was unemployed, which is the only excuse I can come up with for devoting so much time to the pursuit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment