Sunday, September 27, 2020

Syllabus #72

I unlocked a new pointless life goal yesterday.  1000 Days of Yoga!  Every single damn day since January 1, 2018, I have done yoga.  Come hell or hangovers, I took the time to stretch and move.  I'm not talking full-on, hour-long practices every day.  That would actually be impressive.  No, I'm talking a bare minimum of 5 minutes a day.  What a meaningless milestone! 

Also, here is my 6th grade yearbook profile.  Someone was kind enough to randomly post it on my facebook page the other day.  I'm going to make a wild claim here that I was one of those rare people who never had an awkward phase.  Because you can't call it a phase if you're still living your best weird life 24 years later.

Last name redacted - I have one but do you think I would give something like that to just anybody? NO!

Can we talk about how my favorite saying was yoinked directly from Susan Powter's weight loss infomercial?  It could have been worse, I suppose.  We're all just lucky I didn't go with Richard Simmons, "Don't you feel like a pony when you sweat?"

So what was I reading this week when I wasn't ogling Randy Taylor on my favorite sitcom or rocking out to Jagged Little Pill?

---

I can't wait to watch all of these movies (in theory...in practice I'm sure I'll never bother). This quote about Concrete Cowboy starring Idris Elba:  "It’s not a movie that makes my city look good, but it makes it look the way it is, and that’s good enough."


Eloquent and important words from Barack Obama regarding the passing of RBG 


We don't deserve this book but we need it. 


See you on the seesaw, Cindy (seriously though, good on ya, and let's hope party defections like this help make a difference)  

Slow. Clap. The right to vote is worth fighting for.  


It me"One minute you're like: Yup, we're in person. I can do this. You know, it's not ethical for me to, like, desert my students and be unwilling to do something that's scary and makes me anxious because I'm selfish and I just don't feel like it. So I'm going to suck it up and do it. ... And the next minute, I see that we added seven cases in our county today, and I feel like, oh, my God, everybody's going to die!"


It's time to strap in or strap on.  You can either get fucked by winter this year, or be the one doing the fucking.  That's a graphic metaphor but these are desperate times.    


And for your horrifying long read:  What if the unthinkable happens?


Analog Reading:


Finished Michael Arceneaux's I Can't Date Jesus.  We have more in common than you might think.  We both had alcoholic fathers, and we both had a thing for JTT growing up.  I feel like we could be friends.


Reading David Mitchell's Utopia Avenue.  It's enjoyable as a form of escape, but I'm having a hard time giving myself over to it, like I'm expecting anything I read right now to be making some kind of statement about race, culture, politics, or the state of the world.  This book feels a little too fluffy for the current moment, but I guess I'll finish reading it anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Your goals are amazing! The ones you met, are working on, toward and future ones i know you'll attain. Thanks, Alex, for reminding us that you had goals in 6th grade that you have reached!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, achieved that all-important goal of not dropping out of middle school. Not sure if that's my achievement or if we owe that to compulsory education, but hey, let's call it a win!

      Delete