Tuesday, September 1, 2020

The Isolation Journals - #107

 I skipped a few.  I lost a whole month.  But I make the rules around here and on Tuesdays we work from home in our bathrobe and call it a day at 2:23 PM because we have nothing left to give.  Which is highly appropriate for this past Sunday's prompt:

Your prompt for the week:
What multiplies your energy? Write these in list form and tack them to the wall above your desk.

Bonus Prompt:
Reflect on the throughline between all of these things. What is it they do for you? What qualities do they share?

---

What multiplies my energy?  

Cocaine (Just kidding - I hear it's a helluva drug but that's not my style, guys, I'm not that cool.  I got 'narc' written all over my face and still look over my shoulder coming out of the CBD oil store.)

Making lists

Listing a few items I've already completed to establish momentum (except not cocaine...I snorted a Pixy Stix once, and while I can't endorse that behavior, I feel like that was no less unhealthy than consuming it orally...what a dietary abomination)

Deadlines/lighting a fire under this ass

Kitty snuggles (That's a lie - they multiply the chambers of my cold, vacant heart but also make me wanna take a nap)

Cooking a dinner where no one (read: Andy) complains

Reading a good book - the kind where you have to read justonemorepage until you've plowed through 50 and it's truly past your bedtime

Being accountable to other people - never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never wanna look like a schmuck 

Going for a bike ride - Must be a sunny day, when it's warm (but not too warm) with a gentle breeze (but not too windy), so basically the 1 day a year when Nashville weather meets all that criteria I go for my annual bike ride

Creative pursuits - writing, painting, drawing, comedy bits

Going for a drive and screaming to Against Me!

Live music

Is there a throughline?  Kinda sorta?  Much of the list involves situations where there is at least some kind of pressure.  Sometimes it's external pressure, sometimes it's internal, sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it's long term.  Sometimes the goal is private, or simply aims towards catharsis.  Other times, there's an element of public exhibition.  

Basically, I'm a pile of raw peanuts in a pressure cooker.  If you don't turn on the burner, I'm just going to soak in my brine, inert and inedible.  Turn the burner up too high, and I'll explode - stay out of the kitchen or you might lose an eye.  But if you manage to hit that sweet spot, before too long, I'll be a salty delight.

2 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph is so good! I love this prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A whole lot of complexities. If you're a peanut does that mean you're a goober? Xoxo

    ReplyDelete