Sunday, October 9, 2022

Syllabus #170

Hello audience, I hope this missive finds all 1-3 of you well.  I played hooky last week, because I reserve the right to deviate from my self-imposed editorial schedule once in a while, and also, I was otherwise occupied.

Don't talk to me until I've read my funnies


Where does the entitlement come from?  Does it grow on a tree?  Can you mine it from the earth?  Do you pan for it like gold?  Do you pull it out of your own ass?  I want to know where the entitlement comes from to have, not just an opinion about, but an outspoken desire to threaten, something that has absolutely no-fucking-thing to do with oneself.  The people in an uproar about Vanderbilt's pediatric transgender clinic are neither medical experts, nor parents of trans children, nor trans themselves, and yet here we are.  Do they also have strong opinions about pediatric oncology?  Are we doing that wrong, too?  How about juvenile diabetes?  And why limit your opinions to children?  I'm sure you have something to say about my birth control prescription, despite not being me or my doctor?


I must play trombone champ.


Dank Brandon.  


The struggle is (still) real.  


This article about the life of Loretta Lynn was interesting.  As a contemporary of Dolly Parton, a lot of Loretta's songs were so much more controversial and outspoken, but in her real life she was so much more private, and, disappointingly, conservative.  Whereas Dolly lives out loud and is clearly, remarkably, progressive, even though, lyrically, her songs don't really hammer that point home.  


Analog Reading:

Not sure if I ever reported finishing A Gentleman in Moscow, but I finally liberated myself from that one.  The latter 25% was quite good, but the beginning felt like a slog.

Then I read French Exit by Patrick deWitt.  It was short but not sweet.  A delightful, mouth-puckering salty sour treat, with a dash of the absurd.

After that, I swooped into Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird.  It was insightful about the craft of writing and the life of a writer, but so witty and conversational I'd recommend it even to a non-writer.  

I have just begin Mohsin Hamid's The Last White Man, which reads a little like Kafka's Metamorphosis but is somehow utterly realistic.

1 comment:

  1. We'll give you a pass on missing a post. You were kicking butt on an important mission. I noticed your articles seem posted in order of importance. Glad you finally finished the 1st book, it wasn't the page turner his previous book was.

    ReplyDelete