Thursday, July 25, 2013

707-701

Sunday to Saturday.  One week.  Overdue.

Sunday

Charlie experienced a lot of firsts on this day.  First time getting a yogurt container stuck on his snout.  First time romping around in a pile of Legos.


First (and probably only) trip to Porcupine Reservoir.



Not pictured:  Charlie putting on his big-boy panties and actually getting IN the water for his first swim.  It took about an hour of coaxing, but he finally jumped in and spent about 3 minutes thrashing at the surface and biting the splashing water before he realized he was totally fine and knew exactly what to do.


If you could zoom in further, you'd see the pile of boards with rusty nails poking out at all angles, just daring you to stomp on them and get a nice strong case of tetanus.  This is just like the beaches I grew up on at the Jersey shore, but with piles of rusty nails instead of hypodermic needles and condoms.  And with muddy dogs stepping all over your towel begging you to throw sticks instead of seagulls swooping down to crap on you and/or steal your sammich.  And with rednecks and pit bulls on the loose instead of fist-pumping guidos and screaming children.  They're practically the same thing, right?


Monday

Lurkin'

I hardly ever notice this little hand-painted triptych we bought in Peru because it's hanging in an odd spot.  We were super proud of ourselves for haggling in Spanish.  That feeling lasted for about 2 minutes, and then we realized we were complete holes for trying to get a 'deal' on this little piece of art that constitutes a 3rd world person's ability to put food on his family's table.
Tuesday 

I made another batch of Super Power Chia Bread from Oh She Glows so I could have a healthy snack on Thursday's plane ride.

This looks like a pile of hot garbage, but Andy was pretty pleased with this tuna melt.  I'm slowly accepting that all Andy really ever wants to eat is the flesh of a once-living animal, smothered in cheese. 
Wednesday



Habitual lurker

This is what happens at 9:30 at night, when you find out at 5:30 that your house is going to be appraised the next day, but you have to get up at 4 am for an early flight and you haven't packed yet.  My toilet is so clean you could eat off the seat, if you're into that sort of thing.  
 Thursday

First peep of daylight over the mountains

Kombucha (and about a gallon of coffee) make a 4 am wakeup call tolerable.



Sprinting through a psychedelic love tunnel in the Detroit airport 



A Jersey Mike's Subs in Clemson?  I'm skeptical, but willing to try it.  Also, I cannot in good conscience call it a sub.  Would they let me order a hoagie?

A liquor PITCHER?  Exsqueeze me, Garth?  We're not in Utah anymore.  Clearly.  Pinch me.

Living things!  Lush greenery!  Not a desert!  Humid subtropical!

We went in the bar with the liquor pitches.  Yuengling on draft!  Yes please!  Also, this is totes a college town.  Aside from a few local drunks, we were the oldest people in the joint.

Rats.  I was feeling under the weather, so I thought I'd save myself the copay and head over to wing night for the chicken AND antiobiotics.  What am I going to do now?
 Friday

I'm not a superstitious person.  Yes I am.  I don't put any credence in 'signs'.  I totally do.  We were house hunting on Friday and walked into this immaculately-kept 1980s Colonial style house.  I was pretty impressed from the get-go because the first few houses we saw were terrifying.  Water damage, mold, strange smells, creepy "family portraits" of an elaborately-coiffed woman and her Dobermans...So this house was pretty much a miracle.  But then I turned the corner and walked into the living room and saw this framed cross-stitching and kind of knew this was going to be our house.  My grandmom  has the very same thing in her house, but stitched and signed by a relative.  I just assumed it was a design that person made up, and I have never seen this in anyone else's house, ever.  It's probably not even that huge of a coincidence, but to me it's something really distinct that I would recognize anywhere.  

So we put an offer on the house, and we are under contract!  Knock on wood (totally not superstitious).


Strom Thurmond Institute?  Coming from a place with lots of Romney/Huntsman connections, I'm only moderately bemused about this.

I think a reflecting pool with fountains in front of the library should be mandatory on all college campuses.

Saturday

I am the most tolerant wife of all time.  This was Saturday's lunch stop.  I have learned to never travel without a Clif bar and a banana because of situations like this.

Lizard buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment