Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Friday Feels

On a Tuesday.  Because I make the rules around here.

Cape May.  Memorial Day Weekend 2011.


Hey, here's some stuff I looked at on the internet when I wasn't shoving things in boxes or crouched in the fetal position, rocking back and forth in a corner!

This week's theme appears to be 'quirky actresses I admire' with some random home-state nostalgia thrown in for good measure.

Aubrey Plaza is my Spirit Animal.

Speaking of Aubrey Plaza - There really is no better person to star in a live-action Daria movie.  Except me, maybe.  Please, can this be a real thing and not a joke?  Also, how perfect is the guy playing Mr. DeMartino?  

Miranda July interviews Lena Dunham.  I love them both.

I had no idea Gaby Hoffman had such an interesting life.  I always wondered what happened to her after Now and Then, but the really naive part of my brain just assumed she grew up to be Demi Moore.  I probably identified most closely with the Sam character in that movie, as a slightly frumpy, introverted child of divorce.  I thought Roberta was the coolest and totally badass, but I didn't actually want to be her.  The writing was on the wall, and no prepubescent girl pictures herself growing up to be Rosie O'Donnell.  In reality, my closest parallel in that movie was the Chrissy character.  Chubby and incredibly sheltered.  And let's not even talk about Teeny.  Hot mess.  Even as a 10 year old, I knew her future involved sugar daddies, coke, and lots of plastic surgery.  I guess 10-year-old me didn't actually know that.

I'll tell you what 13-year old me figured out, though!  If you pause your VCR at just the right moment during the lake skinny-dipping scene where the semi-naked boys are chasing the girls who have ridden off with their clothes, you can use your imagination to believe you are looking at Devon Sawa's blurry junk.  How many sleepovers did Morgan and I spend in a clandestine attempt (after the adults have gone to be, obvs) to pause the movie at just that perfect moment?  Thirteen year old me was slightly less sheltered, but still naive enough not to realize that he was technically a minor and almost certainly not actually naked.

Just for kicks, a photo collection of Asbury Park in the late 70s.  I miss the shore in all its tacky glory!  And I would kill for hair like the chick on the left in the second picture.


1 comment:

  1. I've just caught up on your blog after moving from Portland to Atlanta. I had to look up where Greenville is, and then realized it's where my husband and I got stuck in a horrible traffic jam on our way to Atlanta. I could totally relate to the moving stress and all the stuff you have to do but can't do until the last minute. I never want to do it again! Also, I guess I could have commented on individual posts but I keep thinking about the toothbrush six feet away from the toilet thing you wrote and laughing, because I have had that exact same thought - WHO has a bathroom that large???? If it hasn't happened yet, good luck with your West-to-South move!

    ReplyDelete