Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Syllabus #17

It's back to school time in the American South.  Nancy Kerrigan speaks for all of us:

Why?  Why?


First round's on me this week, guys.  You're welcome.


I listened to parts 1 and 2 of the You're Wrong About podcast's deep dive into the Tonya Harding story.  The Nancy and Tonya story was only a small part of the meth-addled nightmare of Tonya's early life.  It's always morbidly fascinating and makes me feel horribly nihilistic to learn about a person who is at the absolute pinnacle of their field yet their personal life is a disaster.  Not only must they be unable to enjoy their achievements, but like, if even that wildly successful person is actually a mess, what hope is there for the rest of us?


The Dutch custom of "dropping" sounds brilliant.  Why don't we do this here?  In my work, I encounter so many kids who suffer from learned helplessness, and this sounds like a solid antidote.  Granted, if I was a parent I wouldn't send my child out into the night forest in an area where they could get eaten by a bear or something.  What's the worst thing that could happen to a lost child in the Netherlands?  They run out of stroopwafels and get a splinter bumping into a windmill in the dark?


How do we feel about boozy condiments?  I have a lot of questions.  Can you get drunk on chips and salsa, or is this merely a flavor gimmick, like Jack Daniels barbecue sauce?  If it's the former, and if I were a parent (be glad that I'm not), and I had to host a kids' party (I'm so glad that I don't), I would definitely put this out on the snack table and let those little monsters get weird and get sleepy.


This was at once delightful and validating.  19th century literary elites - they're just like us!


Speaking of delightful, this NYTimes work diary by Smitten Kitchen's Deb Perelman.  Her recipes are unfailingly reliable and delicious.  I read every post of hers, even if she's sharing a meat based recipe I know I'll never make.  She's the only food blogger I know of who can pull off writing a whimsical narrative segue into her recipes.  The only one!  Everyone else may as well just share the recipe and get on with it. 


There but for the grace of g*d, go I.   Andy and I visited Yellowstone about 9 years ago, and I will never let him live down the fact that he drove away from me and left me stranded in the middle of a stampede of horny bison.  Ok, ok, in the interest of marital harmony, that sounds bad but there were mitigating circumstances and nobody got hurt. 

We were stuck in a line of traffic because everyone got out of their cars to ooh and ahh over a few bison in a meadow.  We followed suit, but then traffic began to crawl forward, so Andy got back in the car while I stayed outside to take more pictures.  He got a few car lengths ahead of me when a whole herd of bison crested a hill on the other side of the road and came barreling down the hill towards the meadow to join their pals so they could get it on because it was rutting season.  All I could do was huddle next to another car and watch in amazed silence as scores of these giant hairy mammals lumbered across the road in front of me, bumping into my car and the others ahead of it in the process.  The experience was truly a gift, in that I got to witness an amazing natural spectacle that few people ever see up close, and also I have that argument-winning Ace in my back pocket until the end of time.

It seemed like a good idea at first

Reach out and touch someonebison



Sacre Bleu!  Parisian Heat Wave Jesus Turns Wine Back Into Water!


I love a pickle as much as the next guy (way more, if we're being realistic) but I don't know.  These ones don't really do it for me.


Preach!  We are the proud owners of a $25 off-brand rice cooker from Target purchased over 10 years ago, and it's hands-down our most used kitchen device and our longest-functioning shared possession.  It may even predate Ajax, who is adorable but useless.   He poops in a box that I have to clean and certainly doesn't help me make dinner multiple times a week.  Moral - get yourself a rice cooker, and maybe skip the cat.


And then we can end on a serious note, because this is something none of us should be ignoring:  the humanitarian crisis at the border.  This is just one person's experience, but it really encapsulates how badly people in these facilities are being mistreated and neglected and how overzealous CBP's actions are.  This has to stop, and if you are able to donate time or money to any of the following causes, it would be the least you can do as a person with a conscience.




No comments:

Post a Comment