Sunday, November 8, 2020

Syllabus #78

 [I'm starting the draft of this post on Sunday, November 1st and, not to be dramatic, but I don't know whether it will ever be posted.  What if the whole world is burning by next Sunday?  What if I die in the streets before then?]

Well here we are now on Sunday, November 8th.  It took a few days of nail biting and ulcer-developing and stress-constipating, but I swear the sky looks bluer, the birds are chirping louder, and the gunshots popping off around the neighborhood are probably being fired in celebration.

Kindness and decency and competence won.  It was close enough that we should all be concerned that a plurality of our fellow citizens continue to endorse hate, but we won.  This is only the beginning, but at least we can move forward with hope for a better future.



So, uh, where to start?  Not exactly a slow news week, but here were some notable highlights:

---

Youse guys clearly haven't been paying attention if you think it's ever a good idea to come for Philly.  

Earlier this week, packing my bags sounded like a viable strategy.  I dunno, maybe I'll stick around now.  

Other monumental things happened this week, let's not overlook them.

This guy

Wish I was there

Relief

Historic


Analog Reading

Just finished Elena Ferrante's The Lying Life of Adults.  I feel like a broken record in my assessment of books lately - I probably would have enjoyed it more if I could have devoted longer chunks of time to reading and had more brain space to digest literature, and if it wasn't weird and hard to identify with representations of "normal" existence.  Maybe now that we are about to have some grownups in charge again, some of that psychic burden will lift and I can actually enjoy a dang book for a change.

1 comment:

  1. I'm ecstatic. That you were able to write this uplifting and humorous (yo philly) blog and I was able to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete