Sunday, November 29, 2020

Syllabus #81

Nine months into this global nightmare, it's no longer original or insightful to remark on the gaseous, ungraspable nature of time.  Without a predictable structure, time will scatter in all directions, disperse and fill the container in which we find ourselves.  In this void, the particles that punctuate our year drift by on the air currents, swirling just out of reach.  Wasn't it just Spring Break?  How did we get here?  

We went through the motions of a two-person Thanksgiving.  It's not that we haven't done that before, but we had to really force ourselves this year.  Would it have been easier to just eat a bowl of cereal, pop an edible, and be done with it?  Yes.  Did we set the table and prepare more food than two humans have any business eating?  Yes.  Did I then feel an overwhelming sense of guilt about having plenty to eat when others have nothing?  Of course.  

So if you're still walking around with your pants unzipped from all the carbs and starches you shoveled into your gullet on Thursday, please consider donating money, food, or time to a local food pantry.  My favorite is The Little Pantry That Could, because visitors can choose the items they need.

Ah, gather round, children, and behold the festive re-lighting of the liquor store sign



So what else happened this week?


Finally, some good news.  Lord knows we deserve it. 

Deb Perelman approaches National Treasure status for me - her recipes have never steered me wrong and her tone is so conversational that I find myself getting sucked into even her meat-centric blog posts, imagining a life where I, too, have an actual social life where I cook for appreciative friends and family.  Sure, I might also win the lottery, get my writing published, or join the circus as a contortionist.  Not technically impossible, but so unlikely as to be laughable.

Shit's bad out there.  Give what you can.  I mean ideally we would have a functioning government that provides a better social safety net so people don't fall into such desperate situations, but you know, absent that, let's not let our neighbors go hungry.

Man, the census.  What a mess.  I was hired to be an enumerator, thinking it would be a great "summer job" serving an actually important cause (leaving aside for the moment that we don't pay teachers nearly enough if I was honestly considering a summer job).  Shit was on pause all summer and they didn't call me to start working until after the school year began, and then those jabronis hounded me for weeks.  Like, let's direct some of this energy into getting people to submit their census data, shall we?  

This NY Times list of notable books from 2020 has me feeling like a slacker - I haven't even heard of most of these, though I did read a small handful of them.  

A compelling case for calling in vs. calling out 

Interesting?

Let us pause for a moment to remember just some of the ways that the T.P. administration has been horrendous and enacted policies that violate basic human rights, this time of the LGBTQ community.  See what I did there by abbreviating?  Their full names give me a visceral shudder, but the abbrevs tells it like it is.  We'd all like to wipe our collective asses with them and flush them away.


Analog Reading:

Finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett.  Loved it.

Reading The Party Upstairs by Lee Conell.  I like it so far, but I feel like I've fallen into a pattern where I keep reading books about white women under the age of 40 being complete and utter messes at life, and like, that checks out, but it's hitting pretty close to home and I feel attacked.  Or seen?  Validated?  Maybe it's just that misery loves company?

No comments:

Post a Comment