Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanks(for)giving (us smallpox!)

By Katie, age (2)5


Yay, food!

I'm thankful for having two days off in a row for the first time in over a month.  I'm also thankful for experiencing my first white Thanksgiving.  Not that kind.  Not in a racist way.  I mean snow.  And I'm also being completely sarcastic.  I'm actually a little concerned about my ability to ever leave town until June if it doesn't stop snowing ever single day.  Ugh.

But I digress.  This is a day for feasting and joy!  And watching A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving!  It's just Andy and me for Thanksgiving this year, so I'm making a little mini-feast.

Here's a preview of what's going to be gracing my table this evening:

I butchered and bled the turkey myself?  Or, a bowl of homemade cranberry sauce. 
White Thanksgiving, or, The Shining:  Holiday Edition.  The dagger-like icicles hanging from the roof across the street (yes there is a street between the camera and the row of houses) are probably going to murder someone.

A pie only Helen Keller could love!  I promise the crust was really pretty before I put it in the oven, but it kind of got droopy and deformed for some reason.

Classy:  a bed sheet for a table cloth and a pumpkin leftover from Halloween as a centerpiece.
Also on the menu:

Spinach salad with mushrooms and mandarin oranges, with homemade dressing
Mashed sweet potatoes
Steamed green beans with almonds
Stuffing with apples, onions, celery, raisins, and mushrooms
Roasted Cornish game hen with apples, celery, onions, and bacon for Andy

I think my favorite part about Thanksgiving is the leftovers the next day.  All of the deliciousness and none of the effort!  I am seriously sad that I'm not at home to eat my grandmom's awesome food this year, though.  Best cook ever.  Hopefully the years of helping her in the kitchen (or trying, at least) will pay off for this little solo attempt.  And maybe this year my pants will still fit during the first week of December.  My sole consolation.

Happy eating, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment