Monday, September 5, 2011

Happy Labor Day!


What?  Not that kind of labor?  Oh.  Well, it's the thought that counts, right?  Too much?  Too far?  Isn't that what America is all about?

We made it back from the Tetons in one piece.  Well, two pieces, really.  I mean, we were two separate people when we went, so if we came back as one, that would probably have to imply some kind of Human Centipede sort of deal, which definitely did not happen.  Even if it did, the last thing I would do is put something that private on the Internet for everyone to see.  After all, what happens in the Tetons stays in the Tetons, right guys?

source

All told, we hiked about 18 miles this weekend.  No big deal.  Although, when you're hiking with Andy, it is a big deal, because you're hiking each and every one of those miles like it will be your last.  He hikes at about the speed you could expect someone to travel if they are being pursued by a guy with a machete.  I'm confident that I'm a reasonably in-shape person, but I suffer from a 7-inch height disadvantage when I'm trying to keep pace with Andy.  My stride couldn't be more than 2/3 of his.  I have to imagine that all the people, young and old, fit and unfit, past whom we speed on the way up the trail, feel a twinge of pity for me as I practically run to keep up with my husband, who would be totally oblivious if a bear happened to snatch me off the path behind him.

Oh, this lake?  We hiked around the whole thing.  Circumnavigated, if you will.  And you will.

I'll probably post some more pictures tomorrow, but I'm not making any promises.  Not trying to set myself up for failure here.  Just be happy you got this much, folks.  

2 comments:

  1. Quite the badass, aren't we?

    Though next time, maybe give Andy some sort of a handicap. Like give him an extra 50 pounds to carry, or take away his shoes. Fair's fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH I have totally been there, trying to keep up with my speedy co-hiker. I can't do the hike-like-you're-being-pursued thing. My excuse is always that I want to stop and look for rare plants, but sometimes I am just slow.

    ReplyDelete