Sunday, August 28, 2022

Syllabus #165

Boop.

For all his faults, Charlie really really loves me and that's kind of nice


Finnish people are being judgmental about a display of exuberance?  I didn't see that one coming (but only because I was too busy tamping down my own emotions).


We have a long history of debt forgiveness in this country, and in functioning economies throughout human history.  Don't go acting like this is the first time, and that these people are undeserving.  Ever heard of bankruptcy?  If Karen can get the slate wiped clean after she digs herself into a financial pit buying too much Louis Vuitton and Louboutin, then maybe Kyle deserves the same after he blasts out his liver drinking a case of Busch Light every night and flunking out of community college after 3 semesters.  He has 3/4 of an associate's degree, several thousand dollars in debt, and early stage cirrhosis.  Throw him a bone.


If your pits smell like onions when you sweat, that's a good thing.  Until laundry day.  How...HOW...are we removing these odors from clothing?  I've tried the detergent with Febreze in it.  Tried baking soda.  Tried throwing in a couplea tomaters and some garlic cloves just in case Andy's undershirts were the secret ingredient to Your Italian Grandma's gravy. 


Analog Reading:

Plugging away at The Wind Done Gone by Alice Randall.  It's not a long read, but I'm not exactly breezing through it.  I respect it, but it reads as a little scattered to me.  In some parts, it's difficult to follow who is doing what and what relationship the characters have to one another.  Maybe that's cultural or historical ignorance on my part, or maybe it's a deliberate choice in the writing.  But then there are other parts where the narrator seems to break character and speak in a modern, didactic tone.  I dunno.  I'm mostly reading it because we were out to dinner a few weeks ago and at the end of our meal, Andy informed me that Ms. Randall herself was sitting at the table behind us the whole time.  Just a real casual name drop.  He had once interacted with her professionally and never mentioned it, but like, guy, that is Kind Of A Big Deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment