Sunday, April 19, 2020

Syllabus #49

Have we reached the acceptance stage in your grieving for this situation yet?  I kind of feel like this is just what life is for a while.  What am I gonna do about it?



This really hit me where I live.  I don't have kids so I can't pretend to know the depth of that aspect of the struggle for mothers right now.  The gender disparity is a little too real, though.  And it's not a new thing, but it's thrown into stark relief at a time like this.  If either one of us lost our jobs, it would be a lot more financially disastrous for us to lose Andy's paycheck.  It follows, then, that he is the one working from home, full time, while I'm doing things here and there and taking on all of the other chores to apologize for the free time I shouldn't be allowed to enjoy.

Apparently the Spanish Flu was a real tough time to be in a traveling theatre troupe.  Now out of work actors just make regrettable web content.

What's the most ethical way to eat right now?  The short answer is, it depends. 

Bleak and beautiful.

Did you watch The Tiger King...and I?  Thoughts?  I really just wanted to hear from cipher and scapegoat Carol Baskin, but it is not at all surprising that she didn't hop on the Zoom.

Speaking of watching things, this Saved by the Bell reboot is everything I've ever wanted in life. 

Are you keeping a corona diary?   Remember Pop Up Video on VH1?  I want to see Pop Up CoVIDeo, where we just have snippets from people's corona diaries, and stats from the news, popping up in little speech bubbles overlaying the music video for R.E.M.'s It's the End of the World as We Know It.

Watching:
I'm not proud of it, but I conned Andy into watching the Goop Lab episode about vulvas.  I mostly just wanted to see how much of it he could tolerate, but we made it to the end.  What a champ.

Analog Reading:

Finished Long Bright River in record time, much like one might lightly crumble the remaining third of a bag of chips and then tilt the bag straight into one's gaping maw.  No time to use your hands, or chew.  Just get all those salty bits into your gullet, fast as possible.  Not to say this book was junk.  I mean, there was a lot of the other kind of junk, but, you know.  The book was delicious and I needed to gargle a great mouthful of the sharp salty pieces.  It was good.  The city of Philadelphia was just as much a character as the human actors.  Wawa, the Franklin Institute, Mummers' Parades...all of it.  During the long stretches of dialog between characters, I could just hear  that glorious Philly accent tumbling out of their mouths, past the dangling cigarettes.  God, it was a thing of beauty.  I was just waiting for someone to ask the question, "Jeet yet?" but it never came.  That's my only critique.  I hope this book is made into a movie, and I hope they cast local actors.

I'm nearly finished Isabel Allende's A Long Petal of the Sea.  It's a decade-spanning novel about the lives of two people who flee Spain at the end of the Civil War and emigrate to Chile.  It's beautifully written, and I don't know if this is a function of Allende's writing style or the way it was translated from the original Spanish, but I find myself needing to reread sentences and passages a time or two to fully absorb them.  It's been a pleasure to read this one more slowly usual.  Also, there's so much that resonates with our current situation:

TP is más precioso que oro

No comments:

Post a Comment