Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple Nurple

Hay guys.  Today and for the rest of this week, this blog will be wearing purple to show it's (my) solidarity with the LGBTQ community and to raise awareness about the issue of anti-gay bullying. 

Bullying is bad, y'all.  From an outside perspective, it's easy to see that most bullies are probably insecure people.  They choose targets who embody traits they fear in themselves, for whatever reason.  Or, out of jealousy, they bully someone who is successful or courageous in some way that the bully envies. 

But when you are the target of a bully, it's hard to see that.  All you know is that someone is making your life hell and telling you that you are worthless or you don't belong.  And it has to stop. 

And not all bullying happens on the playground.  It happens in high schools, colleges, workplaces, and social spaces.  It is even written into law in such instances where two people who love each other can't build a life together just because they happen to have the same kinda 'nads.  That is some bullshit right there. 

I'm not here to get up on some kind of soap box and be all serious and preachy, even though this is a very serious issue.  I just want to make sure you're all thinking about this for a few minutes today.

You might say, hey, you're white and straight and female, what do you know about being bullied?  Well, I'll tell you.  I had a bully once.  Her name was Stacey.  She used to curse at me and beat the shit out of me in 6th grade.  Once she actually kicked me in the spine during a game of Silent Ball, because I caught the ball and she didn't.  In the SPINE.  During goddamn SILENT BALL (I hope people at other elementary schools played this game, otherwise that will only make sense to like 10 people).  That is also some bullshit right there.  And the school did absolutely nothing to stop it, despite my mother's repeated visits to the principal's office to complain about the situation after teachers refused to do anything. 

So that really sucked.  But, her life is probably a shithole now, because she had hardcore ADHD and an unstable mother, and I'm pretty sure she bullied me because I was smart and she was dumb as a brick.  I didn't choose to be smart any more than anyone chooses to be gay.  It's just who I am.  And being smart is a good thing - certainly not a source of shame.  Just like being gay.  I think gay people are AWESOME, and if every gay person was out and proud, the world would be a better place.  You might call that reverse discrimination, but I just call it love.  I'm saying it.  I'm gay for gay people. 

3 comments:

  1. Fortunately, the principal of the junior high was quite understanding when I made it perfectly clear that the days of bullying in grammar school would under no circumstances be allowed to continue for the next six years. The intense counseling the school had her placed in may have helped to get her somewhat under control. I wonder what her last name is now since every time her mother re-married she also had a new last name (at least three that I can think of) Poor little bully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Silent ball was real in my town, but it was illegal. I never played, but I heard all about it from kids with rebellious teachers or older kids who played pre 'the broken skull incident'.

    B.I was bullied by these two dudes in the back of a bus all through 4th grade. No one did crap about it even though I often complained like a weenie. They called me, "A fat dyke." Fifteen years later... oh shit the little pricks were right! I am indeed overweight and love the ladies.

    C. Katie- you are awesome.

    D. This music video is also awesome, and anyone who has a problem with it should also have a problem with the majority of American pop music videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bRPHPQsOs

    ReplyDelete