Saturday, October 16, 2010

This is what happens when I'm left to my own devices

Here's a fun game!  Let's play "guess how many layers of clothing I'm wearing right now to be warm inside my house!"  If you guessed two, you would not be guessing high enough.  Four would be too many.  Right now I'm wearing three layers.  A t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and a fleece.  It's only October, and I'm inside.  I would turn the heat on but 1) I don't want to pay for it and 2) the temperature decals are worn off of all the thermostats so if I did turn the heat on, I would have no idea where to position the dial.  If I don't turn it up high enough, it's pretty much a waste of energy because I'll still be cold, and if I turn it up too high, that's also a waste of energy until I realize it's too hot, at which point I would have to dial it down to a random position that may or may not be too low to be effective.  What is a girl to do?

Also, I reached a new level of culinary shame this evening.  When Andy's here, I'm really good at cooking respectable, nutritious meals.  When Andy isn't here, I have zero interest in cooking for myself.  He happens to be up on Lake Pend Oreille this weekend helping my cousins do some stuff at their lake property, so I've been left to my own sloppy devices.  Andy's cutting down trees with chainsaws and fighting bears, and I'm here listening to Prairie Home Companion and blowing on my frozen Reynaud's fingers to restore the sensation.  But that's beside point.  For dinner tonight, I examined my options, and found an unlikely combination of leftovers.  It was so wrong, but so right.

Tell me, what would you do if you had a few leftover lasagna noodles that you boiled but didn't use, and leftover fajita fixings, but no more tortillas?  If you answered fajita lasagna, you would be correct.  Correct and disgusting.  Actually, IT WAS DELICIOUS but I felt a little strange about slapping refried beans, tofu, veggies, and hot sauce into a lasagna noodle, rolling it up, and eating it with my hands (in my defense they were whole wheat lasagna noodles).  Although, you never know, maybe I just invented the hottest new kind of fusion cuisine.  Mexitalian.  You can thank me later, because your mouth is probably full right now. 

You're welcome, by the way.

6 comments:

  1. Um, maybe it's just because I'm cooking for one tonight, too, but that sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever Eric is away/not home for dinner I eat terrible food too. This made me feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of Asian Fusion but it's kind of...over. I'll vogue Mexitalian for you any day!

    My fiance has night class twice a week and I love that it gives me the opportunity to eat like a single girl again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite home alone meal is quesadillas. No prep, one skillet, ten minutes. If I have leftover fajita meat, awesome, if not, it's beans and cheese. Super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I feel the need to have something warm and dinneresque, however, I don't feel like taking the time to cook something extravagant since I'm cooking for one and nobody will tell me how great I am/tasting the food I prepared tastes. I'll boil some peas and throw in some shredded wheat. I call it mush. I'm not proud of this meal that only a pregnant woman would crave, but it gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete