Sunday, May 17, 2020

Syllabus #53

Hi, guess what?  Today is the Twelve Year Anniversary of Andy's and my first date.  It was a day date, because I already had plans to go to my Aunt Louise's surprise 80th birthday that evening.  Which means it's also Louise's 92nd birthday and that old gal is kickin' up her heels in Idaho, being a delightful human being, as ever.  HBD, Weezer, not that you'll ever read this (good lord, can you imagine).  Anyway, for our date, we drove to Atlantic City and went to the Ripley's Museum and gaped at bodily oddities.   Then we popped into the Irish Pub for a late lunch, where we were treated to a bonus round of the exploitation of human bodily diversity - the host was an actual little person dressed in a leprechaun costume and to this day I'm still not sure where to place that on a scale from 1 to we're all going to hell.

Here's a picture I like but did not take recently, because I miss places.  This one is Quito.

You get the format of these posts by now, right?  Do I need to tell you it's some stuff I collected from the internet over the past week?  I respect you.  You'll figure it out.  Trust your instinct.

---

Why are women-led nations faring better with COVID-19?  I dunno, but here's a thought!  Who would you rather have taking care of you when you're sick?  Mom or Dad?  If I so much as sneeze, my mom is fluffing pillows and making soup and ransacking the medicine cabinet for the expired Robitussin or whatever.  I don't know what my dad would have done if he had ever had to take care of me - he'd probably just go to the store to buy some "medicine" and surface eight days later after a massive bender. 


This looks like dog food but I can't wait to try it.  We used to treat ourselves to Jeni's more weekends than not, but lately all I've been able to do is jog past their storefront and stare longingly inside the vacant windows.  I would make a comment about the caloric tradeoff of jogging past Jeni's versus scarfing down Jeni's, but fuck that noise.


It's totally okay to hate Zooming, but is it also okay to kind of like living in a little cocoon and dread having to go out again?


Yes, Jerry Stiller, we all wanted a piece of you.  Festivus will never be the same without you.  Rest in peace.


Yes, open streets, please.  Cars can GTFO.


How The Insufferable Half Lives:  “We decided maybe we shouldn’t have the ocean in the background,” Ms. LeCrone said. “We’re trying to be sensitive.”  So petty.  Also, I don't even wanna know what 'bush tea' is.  


Watching:

A new friend from the facebook group for The Isolation Journals told me I should watch I'm Sorry on Netflix because my sense of humor is similar to the show creator/main character.  That was obviously very flattering and intriguing, so of course I checked it out.  It seems like Andrea Savage is Future Me, drinkin' beer with the guys and talking a whole lot about butt stuff.  It's weird to be so accurately seen by a virtual stranger on the internet, but she was not wrong!  Thanks for the tip!

Analog Reading:

Finished The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehesi Coates.  It was a slow read for me, but not out of any dislike for the book.  My reactions are inarticulate and do not do the book justice.  Whoa, wow, I can't believe that was his first novel, etc.  As I said last week, it was heavy.  Obviously any book written from or about the perspective of an enslaved person deserves all the weight and space it occupies on our bookshelves and in our minds.  But also, narrator was somewhat of a cipher, and I always felt like he was holding things back from the reader.  I suppose that was largely intentional, as he was holding things back from himself, as well.  It was a book to experience slowly and deliberately.

Now I'm on to lighter fare - Kevin Wilson's story collection, Tunneling to the Center of the Earth.  He has a brilliant sense of the absurd and a knack for writing darkly funny, nihilistic characters.  I'm very into it.  Also, the titular story reminds me so much of Mac Barnett's children's book, Sam and Dave Dig a Hole.  Wilson's version came first, and I'd love to know if it was a source of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment