Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 54




So much for Sunday Funday - this prompt actually scared me when I read it.  Then I remembered that I make the rules around here, and I'll interpret it as I wish.  Today's prompt comes from writer and mental health advocate, Kate Speer.

Prompt:  Start at the beginning. Catalog all the difficult moments you have survived, from little things to the big things. Write about how you worked your way through adversity, and how even if it doesn’t feel like it, you’re still charting that course forward.

---

You've used the bathroom, you're settled in comfortably with a blanket, some popcorn, a strong tall glass of something?  You really want the whole back catalog of all the ways I've suffered?  It's been a long and illustrious career thus far...sure we can't just stick to the greatest hits?

Alright, cool.  And I'm warning you, even my greatest hits are...underwhelming.  They feel monumental to me, sure, but it's all relative.  In the grand scheme of things, they never even made it onto the charts.  I've never known hunger or homelessness, I've never been abused, never been seriously ill.  Sure, my dad's dead and he was a drunk while he was alive.  I've broken some bones, I've struggled to find employment.  I've been chronically socially awkward, forever, which creates all sorts of problems, both real and imagined.  

The key to surviving these and other calamities?  To quote the great Kurt Russell in his iconic role as Captain Ron, "I've always been a fast healer.  'Course, I believe in Jesus, so that helps."  Except replace Jesus with Jokes or Flat Out Denial.  They're interchangeable, and both work wonders.  Is it emotionally healthy in the long run?  Probably not.  But they've been there since the beginning and they've gotten me this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment