Sunday, May 3, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 33

The Sunday Scaries have been replaced with constant, low-grade, existential dread.  I wake up before 6 am every day now.  I'm tired!  All the time!

Let's do today's journal.  The prompt is from writer Jessica Pearce Rotondi.

Prompt:  Think of a story you’ve inherited from your family. It can be from your childhood or about a great aunt or someone further back whom you’ve never met. Write the story as a letter to a family member, friend or stranger told from the perspective of the protagonist.

---

This is one of my favorite stories my grandmother tells about my grandfather.  He died before I turned three, and I wish I could have really known him.  This story took place in the mid-80s, probably in 1986 or '87.

Dear Lois, 

How are you and Bob and the kids?  I hope you're enjoying the springtime in Florida before it gets too hot.

We are doing alright, taking each day as it comes.  We try to squeeze in a little fun between Joe's treatments.  Lately we've been going for long drives in the Buick.  We take the back roads and drive around in the Pine Barrens.  If the weather is nice, sometimes we go all the way to Ocean City and pick up some Laura's Fudge.  You know Joe's sweet tooth.

The other day it was bright and sunny so we took a drive down the shore.  I thought we'd walk on the boardwalk, but instead of turning into the parking lot, Joe kept driving right up the ramp onto the boardwalk! 

I thought he must be out of his mind!  I hollered at him - You can't do this!  Do you want to get arrested?

The boardwalk wasn't crowded because it's early in the season and it was a weekday, but people were out walking and jogging and pushing strollers.  Can you imagine?

He just creepy-crawled down the boardwalk while all the people stared at us in this shiny black Buick.  They must have thought we were either important or crazy.  I tried to hunch down in the seat so no one would see me.  And Joe just laughed and laughed and picked up my hand to make me wave.  "Wave to the people, Iowa!"  I was mortified.

He couldn't turn around so he kept driving until he found another ramp to drive off. I can't believe he did that and I cannot imagine how no one called the police. 

I hope Bob never embarrasses you like that!  Tell him and the kids hello from us and write back soon.

Your friend,

Iowa

1 comment:

  1. That's one of the best, thanks for the reminiscence! Wishing we'd been along for the ride!

    ReplyDelete