Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 61

No snappy intro, no photo today.

Prompt:  Only when we deepen our collective spiritual consciousness can we begin to implement genuine and lasting change. As you listen to the first song, called "Meditation," write about how you’re doing your part.

---

How am I doing my part?  There's no answer I can give that would signify that I am doing enough.  It wouldn't even be virtue signaling to get into the specifics, it would just be admitting what a crappy job I've done putting my money where my mouth is.  I know that what I have done and will continue to do will never be enough, but it's not a reason to stop trying.  It's a reason to try harder.

There are direct and indirect ways for a person like me, a white woman, to do my part.  Directly, we can call legislators, we can give money to causes.  There are specific causes like bail funds for protestors or funds to support the families of victims murdered by police.  There are more general organizations like the ACLU or SPLC.  Directly, we can put our bodies on the line by attending peaceful protests which, in this moment, don't always remain safe and peaceful.  However, if I can move through the world with a general expectation of safety and freedom due to my demographic profile (ignoring for a moment the inherent vulnerability of being a woman), I can give that up for a few hours at a time to stand in solidarity with my fellow humans who don't ever get to enjoy that assumption of safety.

Indirectly, we can start by not leveraging our whiteness to get what we want at the expense of harming other people.  We can listen.  We can shut up and open our minds to what POC have to say.  Read their words, listen to their voices, follow their platforms.  Develop empathy for and awareness of an experience that is, in so many critical ways, different.  Understand and root out unconscious biases and ways in which our privilege is hurting others.  So I'm going to take my own advice and shut my trap, and listen to some other perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment