Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 60

It's our 10 year anniversary today!  Like a proper Wife with a capital W, I've been in the kitchen all day, barefoot and making all kinds of shit from scratch, as you shall see.






Prompt:  Write a letter (a real one on paper!) of love and support to an elder. Tell them stories about your life and what you’re witnessing in this moment, and ask them to tell you theirs. When you’re done, mail it off! 

Love for the Elderly
P. O. Box 24248
Cleveland, OH 44124
USA


---

I'm going to cheat here and write to my actual grandmother, who is 87 and lives alone.  I intend to write another letter for the actual organization, but I want to send Iowa a little sunshine in her mailbox.

Dear Grandmom,

I hope it's a warm, sunny day when you collect this letter from your mailbox.  What are you cooking today?  Anything good?  Have you had any fresh Jersey corn, tomatoes, or asparagus yet this season?

I made Andy some blueberry pancakes with sourdough discard this morning.  I also prepped some dough so I can bake sourdough bread tomorrow and I made a strawberry galette to have for dessert tonight.  We are going out for dinner for our anniversary - we have a reservation to eat on the patio of a restaurant down the street that we really like.  

Can you believe it's been 10 years already?  Looking at the photos, Gianna was just a kid which is really the only way to notice how much time has passed.  I feel like the rest of us still look the same.  Aging like a fine wine, we are.  Or at least let's tell ourselves that.  It doesn't feel like that long, and I guess I still like Andy well enough even after being quarantined with him for over two months, so there's that.  

Are you reading anything good?  Did you ever get the package I told you to watch out for after Mother's Day?  There was a delay in shipping, so I hope it gets to you soon!  

Do you have lots of things blooming in your yard?  Have you seen any more of those turkeys strutting through?

I'm sure I'll talk to you on the phone before you get this, so you don't have to write back unless you feel like it.  Just thought you might enjoy something other than a catalog or a bill in the mail, although Vermont Country store has really been knocking it out of the park with their muumuu designs lately!

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment