Friday, May 15, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 45

It's finally starting to feel like summer 'round these parts, and if life as we know it hadn't derailed in a fiery, toxic wreck, today would have been the last Friday of the school year.  I don't know how it's going to feel to be on summer break when I haven't been to work in over two months.  Speaking of which, I haven't touched my hairdryer or makeup in about that long, nor have I plucked my eyebrow.  There is truly only one at this point, and it's impressive.  I am here for this light Bert cosplay.

Bert did it


Prompt:  Close your eyes and draw a giraffe. Your drawing can be of the giraffe’s bust or its full body. It can be in a setting or alone on the page. If you're feeling bold, you can attempt a tower of giraffes.

When you finish, open your eyes and write about your giraffe. What questions and ideas came up? How does your drawing compare to the image you had in your head? What did this exercise reveal—maybe something about your creative practice? Or something about control—and what it’s like to cede it? About trust?

---

Pre-drawing thoughts - When we did blind contour in art school, I believe we did it as one continuous line, without lifting the pencil.  Let's throw that in as an extra layer of difficulty!



Post-mortem - I don't hate it!  I was afraid I'd ruin everyone's childhood by rendering a melting Geoffrey the Giraffe on a bad trip, but then I remembered Toys R' Us went out of business.  Ol' Geoff is probably finding himself at an ayahuasca retreat as we speak.

This little guy is kinda cute.  I would have added spots, but I didn't see how I could get there with my self-imposed continuous line rule.  Also, I noticed that I applied a lot more pressure with the pencil.  Normally when I draw, my first strokes are much more tentative and faint, but there was no point in second guessing myself here.  This really was an exercise in letting your instincts take over and seeing with your mind's eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment