Saturday, July 4, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 95

Prompt:  Write about a time when you had a pressing question and nature provided the answer.

---

How brave am I?  How independent am I?  Or, to flip it and reverse it, how vulnerable am I?

Nature has answered thusly:  Not very, moderately, extremely.

Exhibit A:  New Jersey, 2003.  I'm sunbathing on a beach towel in the pasture behind my grandmother's house.  Laying on my stomach, bikini top untied to prevent tan lines, listening to my Discman.  

I feel a series of thuds reverberate through the ground.  Over the blaring punk music pumping through my headphones, I hear a guttural snort.  I lift my head, open my eyes, and find a buck staring me down from 20 feet away.  Preparing to charge?  I didn't stay to find out, but sprinted, semi-topless and clutching my boobs, back to the house.

Exhibit B:  Northern Utah, 2012.  I have just read The Beast in the Garden, a book about a mountain lion that stalked and killed several people in a Colorado community several years earlier.  I have a habit of trail running in Green Canyon, a national forest about a mile from our house.  There are rumors of mountain lion sightings in Green Canyon that summer, but I tell myself it will be fine.

I'm about 5 miles into my run, about a mile from my usual turn-around point, when I hear a wild thrashing in the brush beside the trail.  This is it.  This is how I die.  It's been real, I guess?  

Except, it's only a grouse.  A dumb stupid grouse.  Shaken (but oddly, not soiled), I turn around on the spot and hightail it the hell out of there.  

Nature is great, until it isn't.  I am brave, until I'm not.

No comments:

Post a Comment