Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 98

Prompt:  Figure out your “fun age,” meaning the common age of those who enjoy the same activities as you. Invite some friends to do the same, and then compare lists. You might discover some new ways to enjoy your time with old friends.

---


What's My Age Again?

My 16-year-old self would cringe at the Blink-182 reference (sell outs!) but she'd probably be too busy in the pit at a loud, sweaty, local punk or ska show to notice.

That being said, the song does reference making prank calls - something my 8-year-old self did with gusto.  Every April Fool's Day, my mom would let me flip through the Yellow Pages and call random businesses to ask them if their refrigerator was running or they had Prince Albert in a can (better let him out!).  I didn't fully understand that one at the time, so I think she was feeding me lines and getting just as much of a kick out of it as I was.  Now we all have caller ID and nobody answers their phone.  RIP prank calls.

These days, my actual 35-year-old self is living her octogenarian best life, going to bed early, eating a lot oatmeal, reading novels and doing crossword puzzles with a cat on my lap.  I'd be just as stoked, though, to color, make friendship bracelets, build with Legos, or read children's books.  Miss me with whatever age likes to go clubbing (19?) - that's a hard pass for me. Otherwise, I'm all over the map.  

No wonder I have a hard time filling out forms that ask for my age as well as my birth date.  What IS my age again?

No comments:

Post a Comment