Sunday, June 21, 2020

Syllabus #58

Well hello there.  The summer solstice was yesterday, which means we rode out an entire season holed up in our homes.  We went straight from sweaters to just being sweaty.  Maybe I'll get to wear my spring-ish clothes in the 72 hours between summer and winter that will come in late October or early November.  

Speaking of summer, do I bother doing a Docket of Shit to Do for Summer 2020?  Is it worth it?  What's the point?



Here are some words my eyeballs consumed in the past week:

Carvell Wallace on being a parent to black teenagers.

Fighting with rocks and sticks?  Is this 2020 B.C.?  What the hell, dudes? 


This is so important.  I want to be available for these kinds of conversations when school resumes, but I have so much to learn. 

I friggin' love the Nashville Public Library.

Came for the Samantha Irby, stayed for the rest.  This whole collection of mini-essays was a treat.

Coronavirus is like hot chicken - anything that doesn't put you in the hospital is considered "mild."

Analog Reading:

Finished Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.  This was pure escapism.  I wouldn't call it a hate-read, because I generally enjoyed the book and respected the craft and pacing of the story, but BOY HOWDY did I hate 97% of the characters.  Also, it's a series, and the book ended on a semi-cliffhanger so I guess now I'm going to have to keep reading.

About halfway through Amnesty by Aravind Adiga.  It's about a moral dilemma that a Sri Lankan man living illegally in Australia faces when he has information about a murder but fears what will happen if he goes to the police.  Despite the setting half a world away, it's very relevant to things happening now in this country re: certain segments of our population having adverse experiences with the police on a regular basis, immigration status, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment