Tuesday, June 16, 2020

The Isolation Journals - Day 77

Prompt:  Think of someone whose work you admire. A great writer. An artist. An actor or musician. Even a politician. Someone you don't imagine you could ever get close to, or who would ever take notice of you and your concerns under normal circumstances. Write to that person, explaining what it is exactly you admire, and why you'd love to meet them.

---

Dear David Sedaris,

I hope this letter finds you and Hugh in good health, still able to tolerate one another after months of confinement.  I haven't read any reports of your demise, so I trust you became more proficient at food hoarding since your March New Yorker essay, and have not starved to death, at least.

I'm a tremendous fan of your work (who isn't though, really?) and I respect your time, so I'll cut to the chase.  You're familiar with the "celebrity dinner party" as a hypothetical thought exercise?  If you could invite a handful of famous people, living or dead, to dinner, who would they be?  Life is so uncertain, and so short, that I'm going out on a limb and making my dream a reality.

I've compiled a guest list that I think you will find irresistible.  Don't worry, no deceased people made the cut (I'm a vegetarian, so I can't be having any dead flesh at my table).  You're the guest of honor, of course, and rounding out the list are Terry Gross, Oprah, and Rick Steves.  I've already lied to those poor schmucks and promised each of them that the others said yes, so they're all on board.  Can we count you in?

Your new friend,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment