Saturday, August 14, 2010

Charlie Work

This past spring, I traveled to Moscow to visit Andy.  It was the University's spring break, and the town was practically deserted.  A lot of businesses were closed for the week because nobody was around to work at them or patronize them.  I was really disappointed to see that one particular establishment, CJ's Dancehall, was closed.  I was intrigued by the mural of inebriated cartoon rabbits dancing and playing pool on the side of the building.

The handwritten sign on the double doors of the entrance more than made up for it, though:

Happy Spring Breck
CJ's Will to closed
well reopen Saterday

 I wish more than anything that I had a camera with me at that moment, but the image is forever ingrained in my brain, right next to a picture of this guy:

Charlie Kelly
I felt so very at home.  This was clearly the sister establishment to Paddy's Pub, and only someone capable of doing Charlie work could have created such a linguistic abomination.  I still have never entered CJ's, because I am afraid the reality would not live up to my expectations.  It's not that I think it will be trashy.  Oh no, I am certain it is.  What I fear is that it won't be trashy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment