Sunday, August 8, 2010

Guerrilla Marketing

One in three craigslist users find my blog "horrifyingly dull."

In a desperate bid for attention, I have been plastering the town's bulletin boards with flyers advertising my blog.  I started out primitively:  torn strips of paper with the URL written on it, along with a bizarre slogan or a drawing of a unicorn or some crap.  I thought it seemed mysterious enough to be intriguing, and maybe some desperately bored person would check it out.

In order to drum up some controversy, I went on the craiglist rants and raves and posted the following:  "Hey has anyone seen this blog, I think it's about Moscow - http://feelingsforbreakfast.blogspot.com
I saw the URL written on a torn strip of paper on the bulletin board in Friendship Square, and was bored so I checked it out. It's pretty funny but the girl sounds like a jerk - anyone know who she is?"

I know, I know, that's filthy and pathetic, but I'm okay with that.  Two people replied.  One of them wasn't me.  Here's an excerpt:  "I don't think the girl sounds like a jerk at all. She seems nice enough but really, really boring. I must be bored since I am cruising the rants/raves section and this blog was horrifyingly dull."  [emphasis mine]

For a second I was slightly embarassed, but then I remembered that nothing that happens on the internet is real.  At least I thought so, until the internet called me yesterday.  That's right, the internet called my cell phone, I answered it, and it talked to me.  I'm not even going to explain that, because some things are better left to the imagination, and you'll probably understand one day when you're older.

Anyway, after the craigslist incident, I made nicer flyers, this time with tabs at the bottom.  Even better, I had professional reviews of my blog that I could quote on these new flyers.  Hopefully the endorsements from craigslist, Oprah, and my grandmother will do the trick.  As of last night, FIVE tabs have been taken.  I suspect they may have been pity tear-offs, but whatever.

All told, I think my marketing strategies have been marginally successful.  I'm glad I did some research on guerrilla marketing before I started out, though, because otherwise I might have been doing this:





5 comments:

  1. I've always secretly dreamed of being one of the people that goes out in costume with a sign to advertise some absurd sale, presumably to avoid draconian sign-posting laws. This is why I get excited, honk, and wave when I see them on the side of the road. It used to make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, horrifying dull eh? I think internet Katie is exciting and clever; it's real Katie that is horrifyingly dull.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I concur. Spend a day with me and you'll be gouging your eyes out with a spoon by 2 PM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you’re very interesting - and a good writer. I have a busy day but here I am, reading your blog from the beginning. I found you from the You’re So Nashville If contest. Congratulations on the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I hope you enjoyed your deep dive into the bowels of this space and still accomplished whatever you needed to do yesterday!

      Delete