Thursday, August 12, 2010

Titte Brothers

It was mid-morning.  I had just completed the task of washing my bras in the sink, because the laundromat's washers make my clothes look as if I've beaten them against rocks.  I was feeling responsible, accomplished, motivated, and very strongly desiring some employment so one day I can have a washer of my own that doesn't scour my clothing with rocks and razor blades.

I thought I would continue the trend of being proactive, so I picked up the phone and dialed the human resources department for one of my many prospective employers.  I wanted to tell someone that I'll be out of town* next week, you know, in case they wanted to call me for an interview.  I thought, wow, they will be so impressed at how responsible and courteous I am, they will hire me on the spot.

As is customary when I assume such grandiose things, I immediately felt like a huge ass.  "I'm sorry, we just forwarded the list of interviewees to the library, and your name isn't on the list."  "Oh, no, I am the one who is sorry, because you just missed the opportunity to have someone with a Master's of Library and Information Science work in your library for a wage that would be acceptable to a high school dropout.  I spit on your apology, and good day to you."

Actually, I just thanked her for the info, because I never say anything awesome in real life.  But come on, people.  Who do I have to know around here to get a job?  Do I need to have Christ himself agree to be one of my references?  Maybe Oprah?  Seriously, this job required a high school diploma and minimal library work experience - I have four years of library experience and an MLIS. Maybe one of the other 120 applicants had a degree in rocket science and world peace.

It could be worse, though.  I'm not getting high all the time, I don't weigh 500 pounds, and I haven't resorted to doing my dishes in the bathtub.  Yet.

But a new brain just might fix all my problems.



*Good idea - booking a vacation to Yellowstone a year in advance.  Yay!
  Bad idea - booking a vacation to Yellowstone a year in advance when you probably will have no job and even though you already paid for your lodging, you still have to drive there and eat food.  Siiiigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment