Saturday, August 7, 2010

You Know You're Broke When...

Last night, Andy and I went for our customary post-dinner walk.  We do this for the exercise and fresh air, but mostly we do it because it's free.  I love walking - it's pretty high up there on my list of favorite activities, but walking around town every night is an exercise in masochism.

Walking past the outdoor Mexican restaurant, we smell the sweet sweet aroma of spicy meat on the grill.*  Walking past the brew pub, we see all those jovial people imbibing in the outdoors.  We continue on past all the restaurants and bars, pressing our greasy noses against the windows, plaintively pawing at the glass, making sad puppy faces at all the rich people eating and drinking.

Last night, we spent most of the walk talking about how badly we both wanted to eat ice cream, knowing that we probably weren't going to act on this extravagant desire.

Katie - I want chocolate ice cream with a warm brownie, and some whipped cream and rainbow jimmies.

Andy - I want a whole gallon of huckleberry ice cream.

Katie - I want a McFlurry.

[TIME OUT] Katie does not ever eat at McDonalds.  This was very out of character. [TIME IN]

Andy - Well, we could walk to McDonalds.

Katie - Meh.  After I get done eating a McFlurry, I will not have wanted a McFlurry.

Andy - We could get Sundaes.  They're not as disgusting.

Katie - Ooh.  Aren't they on the dollar menu?  I think I have two dollars!

That is when I opened my wallet and found seven wrinkled dollars.  Seven wrinkled, tattered, grimy dollars that I would need for laundry in a few days.  Shit.  All a sister wants is to not have to choose between being a dollar-menunaire and having clean clothes.

image borrowed from funpeak.com

In hindsight, I'm really glad I couldn't afford a McFlurry.


*I don't eat meat, but I think we can all agree that grill smell is glorious.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, dude. Though I assume you're referring to Ronald's projectile rainbow vomit, for which I can take credit only for successful Google image searching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like mcflurries have some special ingrediant that makes you want to have one sooo badly as soon as you think about one, but once you get one, you take one bite and don't want the rest. There has only been one time that I ate all of my mcflurry and felt happy with my life afterwards. Normally I eat half of it and then look at the rest in shame and disgust before throwing it out and feeling terrible for ever purchasing it because I wasted food.

    Mcflurries are jerks.

    And also yes, the smell of grilled things is wonderful, even if said things are actually disgusting. Now I'm craving grilled things, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, yes, McFlurries are quite nefarious concoctions. Not quite as terrifying as the KFC Double Down or the Denny's Fried Cheese Melt, though. If Cool Hand Luke was remade today, I feel like instead of eating 50 eggs, the challenge would be to eat 3 Doubledowns in one sitting without having a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete